There are several free data recovery software solutions in the market today. Whether you have accidentally deleted your files or are experiencing data loss, these solutions can drastically help you get your data back.
But the truth is that some recovery solutions are more robust than others. The fact that these solutions are free for use may be a factor in how perfect they can work around data recovery. This article focuses on showing you the few software that will help you recover data more efficiently despite being free.
1. Disk Drill
Disk Drill by Cleverfiles is one of the best free data recovery software. It has a simple design and is very user-friendly. Official information from the Disk Drill website shows that the software can recover up to 500 MB of deleted files from nearly any storage device.
In addition, the software comes with other features, including pause scan, resume scan, file preview, partition recovery, quick scan, filter files by date and size, and full scan. The program works perfectly well with Windows 7 to 11 and most versions of Mac.
Also, the earlier versions of the software support recovery on older operating systems such as Windows XP. Undeleting a file has become very easy with Disk Drill that it seems as easy as deleting one! We recommend you try Disk Drill first before trying any other data recovery software in this list.
- It organizes deleted files in a manner that makes them much easier to view
- The files can be filtered by date and size
- Supports quick scan
- Supports deep scan
- Different file systems are supported
- Recovers up to 500 MB of data only
- You must install the software on the hard disk drive
- It does not display how recoverable a file is before you can do a recovery
Recuva is the runner-up free tool to recover deleted files you can find in the market today. The program is user-friendly but also has several advanced features included.
The software can recover deleted files from several storage devices such as external drives, hard drives, DVDs, CDs, memory cards, etc.
The tool offers several data recovery software solutions. It works with several storage devices, including Vista, XP, Windows 7 to 11, Server 2008/2003, and much older Windows versions such as 2000, NT, ME, and 98. There’s also a 64-bit version available.
- Many advanced options
- A portable version is available
- Works on most Windows operating systems
- The software does not have current updates.
3. EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
This is yet another great free data recovery program that makes data recovery for PC very easy. It helps you recover lost data in just a few clicks.
The UI of the software is structured in a manner that looks more like Windows Explorer. Of course, this may not be the best way to display data for every other user, but still, most people are already familiar with and comfortable working with it.
It recovers data from memory cards, iOS devices, hard drives, cameras, optical drives, and virtually every storage device. The wizard, however, recovers up to 500 MB of data only or up to 2 GB in case you successfully use the share button in the software to share it on social media.
- Supports Mac and Windows Operating systems
- You can back up your scan results to restore later without requiring to scan of the whole drive again
- Allows you to sort files by name, type, and date
- The recovery process is easy since the user interface is much more user-friendly
- The file recovery process is easier
- Data review supported
- The program does not have a portable version
- Can recover up to 2GB of data only
4. Puran File Recovery
Puran is one of the best data recovery software you can use for free to recover lost data from your storage devices. Besides being free, the program is also straightforward and will quickly scan any device that Windows sees as a storage device. Besides, it comes with several advanced options available to users who need to use them.
This program stands out as the ability to identify much more files on our test machine than many other data recovery tools. You should try this software after Disk Drill if you suspect that your tools are not identifying all the files you lost.
Another possibility with Puran file recovery is the recovery of lost partitions. Also, it supports a wide range of devices, including Windows 7 to 10, Vista, and XP, and is available in a portable version.
- Works on both 32-bit and 64-bit Window versions
- It doesn’t require installation
- Scans both NTFS and FAT12/16/32 file systems
- Two ways to review the list of deleted files
- Can see whether a file is recoverable
- It has never been updated since 2016
- Not available for commercial use, free for home use only
5. SoftPerfect File Recovery
Closing the top 5 list is SoftPerfect file recovery software. It is also an excellent data recovery solution that makes it easy to search for recoverable files. Besides, it is user-friendly.
Whether you have lost files from a memory card, hard drive, or DVD, the tool will help you get back the files as long as the device is detectable on the PC as a storage device.
It is a small 500 KB standalone file. This makes the software very portable. Some operating systems where you can run it include Windows 7 to 11, Windows XP, Server 2000 to 2008, NT, ME, 95, and 98. According to its official website, the program runs on 64-bit versions.
- Easy to use
- Can restore more than one file simultaneously
- You can search for deleted files with both file name and file extension
- Only two file systems supported
- No previews available
- It doesn’t reveal how successful file recovery will be
The data recovery solutions we have discussed come with varied advantages and disadvantages. Before you pick from the list, consider key factors such as OS compatibility, technical support, software limitations, and recovery expectations among other factors.
Best Linux Distros for Developers and Programmers as of 2022
Linux might not be the preferred operating system of most regular users, but it’s definitely the go-to choice for the majority of developers and programmers. While other operating systems can also get the job done pretty well, Linux is a more specialized OS that was…
How to Install Pip on Ubuntu Linux
If you are a fan of using Python programming language, you can make your life easier by using Python Pip. It is a package management utility that allows you to install and manage Python software packages easily. Ubuntu doesn’t come with pre-installed Pip, but here…